Friday, March 09, 2007

A new superhero and a new calling

Inspired by an email conversation with Matt, and reading a couple of articles with titles* that reminded me of Harry Potter books, I have decided that I should write a series of books about a new superhero called Henry More. I've already dreamt about looking for action figures of the Cambridge Platonists, so this is only a small step further!

Here are my titles so far:

  • Henry More and the Spirit of Nature
  • Henry More and the Judaic Cabbala
  • Henry More and the Antidote Against Atheism
  • Henry More and the Materialist Hobbists
  • Henry More and the Theistic Pagans

I think I've found my new calling!

---
Update: I've just come up with another title! "Henry More and the Latitude-Men." Maybe the Latitude-Men can be his faithful sidekicks...

I think my PhD is starting to have an effect on my sanity. Starting to? Maybe not...

* "Henry More and the limits of mechanism" by Alan Gabbey, and "Henry More and the Scientific Revolution" by A. Rupert Hall, both in Sarah Hutton (ed.), Henry More (1614-1687): Tercentenary Studies, Kluwer, Dordrecht, 1990.

3 comments:

Nick said...

I'm particularly looking forward to the fourth title. I love any story set in Middle Earth, even if the race is question is nasty, brutish and short.

Lara said...

I started my PhD just after seeing the third Lord of the Rings movie, so whenever I read about "Hobbists" I thought about "Hobbits." It was rather amusing.

Donna-May said...

bahaha, very funny Sugar!!