Monday, March 19, 2007

Faithful & True, but what's the theology?

I've been confused lately about all the different labels being tossed around for "types" of Christian theology; e.g. Reformed, dispensationalist, covenant theology... And then there's a lot of terms that are more familiar, but the definitions are always changing, e.g. evangelical and fundamentalist.

This is one of the more recent songs by Tim MacBride (associate pastor of Narwee Baptist Church, musician extraordinaire and all-round genius). I'm trying to remember the jargon for what kind of theology it's meant to be...

The king has come: the blind can see,
The strong man is bound and the captives go free!
Tell all who have ears that the kingdom is here
And nothing will stand in its way!

To him is given all authority
For he has risen! And the stone rolled away
Became a great mountain, now it fills the earth,
And nothing can stand in its way!

Now Satan is bound from deceiving the nations,
The gospel resounds and the earth hears its song.
And the kingdom rule of the Faithful and True
Has come in each one
Who will bow before the King of Kings.

And when there are people from every nation
And every tongue who join in the song,
Then the kingdom rule of the Faithful and True
Will come and each one
Wll bow before the King of Kings.

You reign over all through the people you've called
You reign over all through the people you've called.


I get the "now, but not yet" idea about the kingom, but that's about it. Is it covenant theology? Amillenial eschatology? I think I need to do more study at Moore College. Much more.

Click here to sample more music from the inimitable Tim Mac.

No comments: