Thursday, March 29, 2007

More reading, less books?

What a horrible thought!

I've just read a review of the Sony Reader - a handheld device for reading e-books. The author of the review suggests that while the Reader is no more portable than the average paperback,

The Sony Reader has other selling points; above all, its potential to reduce the clutter of books. For me, the perfect advertisement for this device would be a picture of my bedstand without its ever-present leaning tower of literature. More reading, the tagline would say, fewer books.


Further down, he writes

If, today, I threw out all the books in my house that could be uploaded for free onto a Sony Reader, at least one of my bookcases (out of five or six) could be retired. What I'd really like is to keep only as many books as could be squeezed into one or two bookcases.


What on earth for? I love books! I've been thinking about selling some of my novels because I'm running out of space, but I wouldn't want to get rid of many of my books. I have 4 tall Ikea bookshelves stuffed full of books, as well as a smaller bookshelf under my window. I love lying in bed looking at my books, thinking about what I'll read next, or remembering what I enjoyed in each book (the ones that I've read, anyway...) I love the feel of books. I love to run my hands over the covers, particularly if the book has a groovy cover with embossed lettering or the like. Why would anyone want to give that up? And sure, my bookshelves take up nearly all the wallspace in my bedroom, but what would I put there instead? I dream of having a dedicated library in my home, with high ceilings, floor-to-ceiling bookshelves and a sliding ladder!

I love this quote from Matthew Barker's Natural Theology (1674):

I have always thought that good Books are the best part of a man's Furniture in his House, and the best Ornaments for Ladies Closets.


Amen, brother!

No comments: