Friday, March 16, 2007

January 2007

This was a bad month in terms of self-control around book stores. I feel compelled to point out, however, that many of these books were bought at bargain prices at one of Canberra's fantastic second-hand or seconds book stores! It's such a long list that I also felt compelled to divide it up into categories:

Vaguely PhD-related books:
  • Jason Bardi, The Calculus Wars: Newton, Leibniz and the Greatest Mathematical Clash of All Time
  • Antonia Fraser, Cromwell: Our Chief of Men
  • Justin S. Holcomb (ed.), Christian Theologies of Scripture
  • Margaret J. Osler (ed.), Rethinking the Scientific Revolution
  • Simon Schama, A History of Britain 2: 1603-1776, The British Wars
  • Margo Todd (ed.), Reformation to Revolution: Politics and Religion in Early Modern England
  • David Tylden-Wright, John Aubrey: A Life

For somewhat scholarly interest:
  • Amir D. Azcel, Descartes' Secret Notebook
  • Veronica Buckley, Christina, Queen of Sweden
  • Norman F. Cantor, In the Wake of the Plague
  • Peter Dear, The Intelligibility of Nature: How Science Makes Sense of the World
  • Michael Ruse, Darwinism and Its Discontents

Just for fun:
  • Matthew Pearl, The Poe Shadow
  • Alan Wall, The Lightning Cage
  • Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest And Other Plays
  • Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray

Books read:
  • Susanna Gregory, A Masterly Murder
  • Amir D. Azcel, Descartes' Secret Notebook
  • Most of Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion - I haven't managed to finish it yet because I keep wanting to throw it across the room...
Most likely there were more books I read in January, but I've forgotten them now...

No comments: