Where did the weekend go?
Friday night
Matt and I went to see Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street. It was very well done, and I enjoyed it, but I did leave feeling just a little queasy. I'd been warned that it was very bloodthirsty. The blood didn't bother me too much - it was so fake - but one of the characters being thrown alive into a furnace at the end - that was a little harder for me to deal with.
Saturday
Matt had stayed at my place Friday night, and on Saturday morning we spent some time searching for a cottage in the Peak District to stay in while we're in England. My parents were both out, so we went to Oatley for brunch and then I drove Matt to Hurstville to catch the bus back to Wollongong (the trains weren't running). When I got home I read the paper then went back to bed for a nap because I was so exhausted. I was disturbed twice: once by the phone (I picked it up and there was no answer, so I hung up quickly - I hate those telemarketing calls!) and once by by neighbour who thought he might have lent my dad some kind of gadget for cleaning out gutters.
I finally dragged myself out of bed mid-afternoon, but didn't have much energy to do anything. I watched Down with Love (very cute) then finally mustered up enough energy to vacuum the kitchen. Last weekend I'd had to put a collar on my poor cockatiel because he was chewing at the skin under his wing, and when I took it off this weekend, he had a week's worth of grooming to catch up on, which resulted in a lot of feathers and dust on the kitchen floor. Then I played piano for awhile - something I don't do very often these days. My mum got home about 7pm, and we had a nice quiet girls night, drinking red wine and watching Firefly. And then I went to bed early, but didn't sleep very well.
Sunday
I had planned to go to the gym, but I was too tired, so I read the paper over breakfast and then managed to tidy my room a little. I picked up Lynley (my future sister-in-law) at 11am, and we drove to Miranda to look for a dress for her to wear at the wedding (she's "best maid") and to see 27 Dresses. We followed that with very naughty but very tasty churros and chocolate. We shared, so it was only half bad!
I got home around 4:30pm, feeling very much in need of a nap before church at 6pm. I knew, though, that if I had a nap, I probably wouldn't get up in time for church. So I made a cup of tea and sat at the kitchen table trying to edit my current draft of chapter 3. I wasn't feeling very well, though, and as time went by, I was just feeling worse. I decided I wasn't well enough to go to church, so I had a rest, and got up an hour later feeling worse still. I had dinner with my parents, watched Grey's Anatomy, and went to bed early. And couldn't sleep. Grr. So I finished reading Atonement. I enjoyed it, though I did feel a little let down at the end.
Monday
Where did the weekend go? I'm so tired, and it's only the first day of the week! It took me over an hour to drive to uni this morning - an incident in the tunnel, slow traffic on Southern Cross Drive, traffic lights not working at Todman Ave (I waited for nearly 10 minutes before getting out of the right-hand turning lane and going straight ahead), a breakdown on Alison Rd, cars blocking the intersection where I wanted to turn right at Wansey St. Then an email saying I'd exceeded the volume of my account on my uni computer - we've gone from having the whole hard drive of the eMac to having a 5GB mobile account - so I've been sitting here deleting files.
Now it's 9:30am, and I really should do some work on my PhD...
No comments:
Post a Comment