Before the throne of God above
I have a strong, a perfect plea,
A great High Priest whose name is Love,
Who ever lives and pleads for me.
My name is graven on his hands,
My name is written on his heart;
I know that while in heaven he stands
No tongue can bid me thence depart.
When Satan tempts me to despair,
And tells me of the guilt within,
Upward I look and see him there
Who made an end to all my sin.
Because the sinless Saviour died,
My sinful soul is counted free;
For God the Just is satisfied
To look on him and pardon me.
Behold him there! The risen Lamb,
My perfect, spotless righteousness;
The great unchangeable I AM,
The King of glory and of grace!
One with himself I cannot die,
My soul is purchased with his blood;
My life is hid with Christ on high,
With Christ, my Saviour and my God.
2 comments:
One of my favourites too.
"That your allowed to sing in church"?
Huh? What wont they let you sing?
Matt
Hymns aren't allowed much in the evening service. The reasons given are that the language is jargony or archaic, and we're trying to be accessible. I don't think one or two hymns would drive people away, though...
Last week we had a favourites night - people called out the songs they wanted to sing. I shouted out And Can It Be - one of the greatest hymns ever written. I got shouted down. Sad.
I used to lead the evening service occasionally, and once I managed to sneak in Crown Him With Many Crowns, including the last verse. I told the congregation that if anyone didn't know what "potentate of time" or "ineffably sublime" meant, they could ask me after the service. No one did, so I assume they all understood! I nearly got hauled into the pastor's office after that, for a chat about the evening music guidelines...
Post a Comment