Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Classic Aussie Music

I'm putting together a couple of compilation CDs of Australian music for an American friend. I'm open to suggestions, comments and advice on which songs are most characteristic of Australian music and culture. Here's what I have so far:

"Classic Aussie Anthems"

  1. Khe Sanh - Cold Chisel
  2. Sounds Of Then (This Is Australia) - Ganggajang
  3. Solid Rock - Goanna
  4. Holy Grail - Hunters & Collectors
  5. Great Southern Land - Icehouse
  6. Original Sin - INXS
  7. Down Under Men At Work
  8. Live It Up Mental As Anything
  9. Beds Are Burning Midnight Oil
  10. Dumb Things Paul Kelly
  11. Waltzing Matilda Slim Dusty
  12. Advance Australia Fair John Williamson
  13. Home Among The Gum Trees John Williamson
  14. Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport - Rolf Harris
  15. I Am Australian - The Seekers
  16. Djapana - Yothu Yindi

"Modern Aussie Classics"

  1. Gough - The Whitlams
  2. Brand New Day - Alex Lloyd
  3. Girls Like That - Custard
  4. Black Fingernails, Red Wine - Eskimo Joe
  5. Are You Gonna Be My Girl - JET
  6. Beautiful to Me - Little Birdy
  7. Wier - Killing Heidi
  8. Prisoner of Society - The Living End
  9. Tonic - Pete Murray
  10. (Baby I've Got You) On My Mind - Powderfinger
  11. We're Coming Home - Rogue Traders
  12. Don't U Eva - Sarah Blasko
  13. Without You - Silverchair
  14. Three Dimensions - Something For Kate
  15. Hey Hey Baby - Spazzys
  16. Emancipate Myself - Thirsty Merc
  17. Something by Kylie Minogue - probably Where the Wild Roses Grow, with Nick Cave
  18. Something by Crowded House, even though they're technically from New Zealand. This is a tricky one. So many fantastic songs! Which one is most "Australian"?

Other possibilities:

  1. You're The Voice - John Farnham
  2. What's My Scene - Hoodoo Gurus
  3. Pub With No Beer - Slim Dusty
  4. Something by You Am I?

Any thoughts?!?!

4 comments:

Mister Tim said...

I think you could safely leave off Crowded House. While they lived and worked out of Australia for some time, they're songs actually explcitly mention things from NZ but not from Australia.

Here are some other suggestions - mostly for your old classics list:
'From St Kilda to Kings Cross' or 'Bradman' by Paul Kelly
'The Ship Song' or 'The Mercy Seat' by Nick Cave
'Under the Milky Way' by The Church

Also, 'Throw Your Arms Around Me' by H&C was their other anthemic hit back in the day

Oh, and 'Pub With No Beer' is essential for such an iconic playlist.

Lara said...

'From St Kilda to Kings Cross'... Yeah, but I like 'Dumb Things' better! Though I guess it is more Australian...

I thought putting in 'Where the Wild Roses Grow' would take care of Kylie and Nick Cave with one song.

'Under the Milky Way' - thank you for reminding me of The Church! iTunes rocks. I bought 'The Unguarded Moment' as well!

Do you think 'Throw Your Arms Around Me' is a better choice than 'Holy Grail'?

OK, I'll put in 'Pub with no Beer'. I think I might run out of room...

Nick said...

Something Missy Higgins might go down well, if they don't mind the bogan accent.

I think "My Happiness" is a better Powderfinger song than "On My Mind". Likewise, "Blow Up the Pokies" or "Thankyou" would be a better choice for The Whitlams, especially for foreigners not au fait with Australian politics. (Actually, I think it'd be ok to put more than one Whitlams track on!)

And anything by Augie March would be a great addition, even though they're not so famous outside indie circles.

Lara said...

Missy Higgins will definitely make the list - most probably "This is how it goes". "My Happiness" is indeed a great song, but I still like "On My Mind." I'll stick with "Gough", but I might put another one in - tossing up between "Love This City", "Melbourne" and "Blow up the Pokies". Or maybe "Kate Kelly". Hmmm.

Not actually familiar with Augie March. I think they'll get left out...

Oh, and something by Kasey Chambers. Haven't figured out which song yet.