Thursday, December 21, 2006

A Tribute to my Supervisor

If I was creative, I would compose a poem. But I'm not, so I won't. I will say that my PhD supervisor is absolutely wonderful. Here's part of an email I sent him this afternoon after he read my conference abstracts and gave feedback within half an hour of my sending them to him (and I realised that I'd never explicitly thanked him for everything he does - I just give him a nice bottle of red each Christmas):

Have I ever told you what a fantastic supervisor you are? Honestly, I'm so glad that back when I was thinking about doing honours I decided to work with you instead of [another lecturer in the school who shall remain nameless in the blogosphere]. He's a nice guy and all, and we have some interesting (sometimes heated) debates, but he wouldn't have given me anything close to the level of support that you have provided. I am so grateful for your advice and ideas.

I think I've come up with a new natural theological argument: choice of supervisor as evidence of God's providence!

His response:

Well, all I can say is "Allah be praised!" that your supervision is satisfactory.


I'm not sure why exactly, but that's his latest catch-phrase...

No comments: