- I have completed drafts of two chapters, bringing the total number of chapters drafted to four. I have also made significant progress on the draft of a fifth chapter, which I aim to complete by the end of the year.
- My chapter outline has developed since the last review. It now consists of two parts: the first being theoretical and conceptual, while the second provides the empirical case studies (which I have now decided upon) to support and illustrate the theory. One of the chapters I drafted this year will now become an introduction to the second part of the thesis.
- I have presented papers at two international conferences as well as a number of talks at UNSW (see further details below). With these presentations, I gained positive and useful feedback on the theoretical and conceptual part of my thesis.
- As part of my continuing formal theological education, I have completed two more subjects at Moore Theological College: Doctrine of God and Biblical Theology.
- I have also further developed my professional skills by tutoring in three different subjects (GENS4010 - Science and Religion; GENT0902 - Witches, Quacks, and Lunatics; and SCIF1110 - Perspectives in Medical Science: The History of Medical Science) and by working as a research assistant to Nicolas Rasmussen.
- "The Dynamics of Natural Theological Discourse," paper presented at the annual conference of the Australasian Association for the History, Philosophy and Social Studies of Science, University of Otago, NZ, December 6, 2005. I was also awarded the Ian Langham prize for the best student presentation.
- In December 2006, I was invited to join the Centre for Apologetic Scholarship and Education (CASE), New College, UNSW, as a CASE Scholar. This position included a financial grant and the opportunity to meet regularly and share ideas with other academics who are exploring the significance of Christianity for their work.
- "Theology, Natural Philosophy, and Natural Theology: A Dynamic Relationship," paper presented at the annual conference of the British Society for the History of Science, University of Canterbury, UK, July 8, 2006.
- Attended two-week summer course on Science and Religion at the Faraday Institute for Science and Religion, St Edmund's College, University of Cambridge, July 16-29, 2006. At this course I gained a broader understanding of current debates in science and religion, and made contacts among some of the most important scholars in the field.
- "A Kaleidoscopic Presentation," short talk presented at the GRISSH Seminar for Postgraduate Research Students on How to Give a Brilliant Conference Paper, September 26, 2006.
- "Natural Theology and Christian Apologetics," presented as part of the CASE weekly lectures on Christianity and Contemporary Thought, October 3, 2006.
- "Science-Based Apologetics: Opportunities and Pitfalls," paper presented at CASE Scholars Consultation on Apologetics and the Disciplines, New College, November 10, 2006.
- I have been invited to contribute an article on Natural Theology for The Science and Religion Primer, to be published by Baker Academic. The Primer is designed to be a cross between an encyclopedia, annotated bibliography and survey introduction to key historic and contemporary concepts and persons relevant to the science & religion dialogue. I will be submitting my article by the end of this year.
- I was also invited to present two lectures on science and religion for a course on Dan Brown and the Da Vinci Code at the Macquarie Christian Studies Institute, Macquarie University. Unfortunately, due to a lack of enrolments, this course did not go ahead.
That's quite a revelation to me. No wonder I've been so busy!
P.S. I'm not quoting all this stuff to show off - honestly, I'm genuinely surprised!
No comments:
Post a Comment