Tuesday, December 12, 2006

On a more positive note...

I had my annual progress review this morning, and it went quite well.
The review panel was very pleased with Lara's progress, and recommended that she focuses on creating conditions for uninterrupted writing in the next 10 months.

This means that I'm supposed to be working solely on my PhD for long stretches of time with as few distractions as possible. So, I doubt I'll be doing any Moore College subjects next year. It was also suggested that I probably shouldn't be doing any tutoring. However, I've already offered to continue tutoring the online Science and Religion subject, and I would like to continue that. It's my area of research, and it's quite fun interacting with the students. I got some interesting comments this year - I'll have to post them sometime.

The money from tutoring would also come in handy. My scholarship expires in February, and while I'm applying for a 6 month extension, there's no guarantee that I'll get it. Plus, I want to go back to England in July for 2 conferences, and there's no guarantee of funding for that either. And finally, whether I finish my PhD in September 2007 or not, I'm still not going to get a full time job until 2008, but my scholarship will be gone by then.

Hmm... Guess I'll have to reconsider my book buying habit...

No comments: