Thursday, May 05, 2005

Oops, I fell down...

A few years back, Adrian, a guy from my church, moved to Bali to set up a Christian Surfers ministry. Things seem to be going quite well, and they are now building a drop-in centre for the young people in Bali. Nici, a girl from my church, has gone over there to help out for about 6 months. She was back in Australia a couple of weeks ago, and spoke at church about some of the things she'd been doing, including visiting Schapelle Corby. Nici said that Schapelle had made a commitment to Jesus, which is amazing news, and that she was leaning on God throughout her trial. Nici also said that she believes Schapelle is innocent, something she believes God revealed to her. Nici also believes that God will bring Schapelle home.

This is quite amazing stuff. I don't know for sure, but I also believe that Schapelle is innocent or that, at the very least, there's not enough evidence to find her guilty. It would be wonderful to see her set free from jail in Bali and return home. But I'm ashamed to admit, my first thought was, "What if she is found guilty?" What would happen to her faith, or to Nici's faith if that happened?

I realised that I don't seem to have much faith in God. I believe that God can do anything, but I'm reluctant to believe he'll do anything in particular, just in case I'm disappointed. I'm not sure if this is an ok thing or a really bad thing. Can I have faith that God is in control, but still acknowledge that he might not choose to act in certain cases? Or maybe he is acting, but we don't know what his overall plan is. It's a tricky issue.

This is one of my favourite retro Christian songs:

I walk by faith
Each step by faith
To live by faith
I put my trust in you

Every step I take
Is a step of faith
No weapon formed against me
Shall prosper
And every prayer I make
Is a prayer of faith
For if our God is for us
Who can be against us?


I love the song, but I'm not sure it really describes my life. That is not a good thing.

8 comments:

ChinDoGu said...

You raise an interesting point... but can we just expect god to solve our problems like that.

Lets assume she is innocent. Does that therefore gaurintee her a get out of jail free card? I dont think so. In a perfect world perhaps, but not here. (Technically in a perfect world this situation woulden happen I know I know)

Just because she feels god should vindicate her, set her free does that mean he will. I dont think so.

But it does mean that, should she be found guilty, the situation that results from it will be one god planned, orchestrated, and bought about, "for the good of those who love him".

Were not talking good in the sence of what the world considers good (because clearly that is being released). Were talking good in a spirital health and development sence.

It may not be easy... or even possible... to see that good, but it will be there, even if only visable to god.

In a case like this I dont think we should be trusting god to do what we want. Only to do what he has promised. the thing that will lead to the most good for us and for his kingdom.

In my opinion, real faith begins when we have to accept that that is not the thing we were hoping for.

Personally I hope she is set free, In fact I pray for it.

But consider this. "Not my will but yours be done" Jesus prayed in the garden. Should his will not be what we pray for, then so be it. My faith remains.

In my opinion, we have to hope and pray for what we see as right, as important. But we have to do so with the attitude of jesus. Not my will but yours be done. If we dont get what we pray for, we should be accepting. and keep an eye out for how god will use us not getting it to achieve even more. Its an amazing thing to see the plans of a divine mind come to fruition.

My 2c

Lara said...

That's a valuable 2c and I totally agree! I hope Schapelle gets released, but if she doesn't I know that God is still in control and still working for good.

I love that verse from Romans 8 (actually I love the whole chapter - my favourite in the Bible) - "We know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified."

Amazing stuff.

ChinDoGu said...

My friends would say I reference that verse far too much.. and I probarbly do.. But I see it as key in understanding gods actions in a sinfull world.

Lara said...

Nah, I don't think it's possible to quote any verse from the Bible too much (unless it's out of context), and especially not one like that!

ChinDoGu said...

Perhaps not possible to quote it too much, but even in context sometimes there is a better verse to use to make your point...

Not a big issue to my mind, but some poeple get annoyred by it.. so in deference to them I should try to work on that 8-)

Stoobie said...

I think that this is an area in which people can have definite problems. They can place conditions on God (whether consiously or not) and if God does not do what they think he will people can think he does not exist or just reject him because he didnt do what they wanted.
Like you said, what would happen to their faith if she is pronounced guilty? If she has true faith, then she will remain firm to the end and we will see her in heaven sad though the outcome would be.
I find when people say anything like "I'm sure God will..." it instantly rings alarm bells in my head. How do you know what God will do? All we know is that he will act in step with his character and what has been revealed in his word.
As much as our wishes are good and noble, we should look at things in the light of eternity and not try to second guess the creator of the universe.

Lara said...

I do agree with you. God has revealed to us enough to put our faith in him, but he hasn't told us everything about his plans. As the Bible reminds us, his ways are unsearchable and no one has known the mind of the Lord.

Like you, I do think it is dangerous to claim to believe that God will do something in particular, such as make sure Schapelle Corby is set free. That's why I did immediately feel sceptical when this girl from my church said that. However, it did make me stop to consider how much faith I have in God, and how that plays out in my life. It's very easy to say that I trust that God is in control, that he is loving, just and merciful and will work all things for his glory. It's harder to live that out, though!

Stoobie said...

Tell me about it!