I just got back to my computer after a seminar and read the Schapelle Corby verdict. I feel so sorry for her. It's a tough issue, though. I don't really know what to think. On the one hand, we should respect the justice systems of other countries, or at least be more consistent in our outrage. On the other hand, it does seem so unjust.
I guess we just have to pray that God will give her the strength to endure whatever lies ahead, and have faith that God is in control and can work good from any situation. After all, she may not have become a Christian if not for this ordeal.
More thoughts soon...
3 comments:
(Apologies, this may come across a little agressive - its not intended as so, its just intended to make people think.)
Why is it unfair? Have you read a transcript of the trial?
All we have to judge the "fairness" of the trial (at least all that ive seen) are snippets provided by the media. And its in their interest to inflame us, So im not going to trust that as being a fair interpretation of the trial.
Honestly, Everyone seems to just assume their justice system is completly unfair. Untill I see a transcript of the trial or something that isnt dripping with bias, I dont think we can really assume either way.
That's a good point, Matt. We don't know whether the trial was unjust or unfair or not - we only get one perspective. The only things that I do think make it seem unjust are that the bag was never fingerprinted and the drugs were never tested; the court didn't seem to want to take into account any evidence about drug smuggling through Australia's airports (i.e. using people as unwitting mules) and that the chief judge seemed almost proud that in over 500 drug cases, he'd never aquitted anyone.
That said, in some ways it seems like a compromise verdict - the judge did give a lesser penalty than what the prosecution was asking for.
Like I said, it's a tough issue. But like you say, we can't assume the justice system over there is corrupt. And if we think it is, we should be equally outraged about anyone on trial over there (or Aussies facing the death penalty in other countries). And we should be more outraged about innocent people who are locked up in Australia (like some asylum seekers).
I pray that God will give Schapelle the strength to survive.
On the third hand (if that works), maybe she was guilty after all - and maybe the testimony of the police in Bali was true and she practically admitted her guilt when the marijuana was first found.
Also, in the judgement they read out, the judges did say that they took into account allegations of drug smuggling by baggage handlers, but that it wasn't a big factor in their decision. As far as I can tell, the main points that decided the case were that the drugs were found in her bag, that is, in her possession, and that four police witnesses gave evidence that she tried to stop them opening the bag and that she said words to the effect of, "I have some..."
Anyway, I don't really have a strong view on whether she is guilty or not. But all other matters aside, I'm glad that she became a Christian, and I hope that her faith helps her endure, and that she endures in her faith.
Post a Comment