Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Books I read in April 2005

1. Ian McEwan, Enduring Love

2. Maeve Binchy, Circle of Friends

3. Maeve Binchy, Silver Wedding

4. Jodi Picoult, Vanishing Acts


I'm not doing so well with my reading lately. I'm guessing that's because I've actually been working quite hard - not taking as much time off. My weekends and evenings have also been very busy. I've been feeling more social than I have for a long time. This is all good, but it means I don't have much time to read for pleasure, which is rather sad. There are so many books I would like to read. That Ecclesiastes 12:12 verse (the favourite verse of HSC students, it seems) is so true - Of the making of books there is no end, and much study wearies the flesh.

I have so many books that I haven't read. I decided to attempt to read through them all, so that when people see my bookshelves and say "Wow, you've got a lot of books. Have you read them all?" I can say, "Why yes, as a matter of fact I have." Or I could take the Umberto Eco line: "Oh, these are just the ones I brought home to read over the weekend. The rest are in my office."

I started at the top shelf of the far left book case, working my way through in alphabetical order. I didn't get very far, though. I read two Maeve Binchy books, which were fine. Next came a book called The Sacred Art of Stealing by Christopher Brookmyre. It had more sex and swearing than I had realised when I bought it, so I didn't really feel like reading it. I'm now debating whether to release it into the wild, or try to sell it. After than was March, by Geraldine Brooks - a novel about the civil war experiences of the father from the March family in Little Women. I got a few pages in, but found the descriptions of the fighting a little too much to handle. For some reason I'm feeling a bit emotionally sensitive at the moment, and war has always disturbed me. So now I'm up to an Agatha Christie book. Nice easy reading. I think it's going to take me years to get through all my books. Guess I shouldn't buy any more.

Oops, I just bought five books from Koorong...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What were the books you got from Koorong?

Lara said...

G. Goldsworthy, Prayer and the Knowledge of God
D. B. Knox, Sent by Jesus
D. Peterson, Engaging with God
P. Bolt, Mission Minded
P. Adam, Hearing God's Words

They're all for my Moore College course. Unfortunately, the Knox one is out of stock at Koorong, which I didn't realise until after I had ordered all 5 online. I might have to go to Moore Books - I need that one for an assignment due in just over a week!

Unknown said...

What did you think of Enduring Love?

Lara said...

I wasn't all that keen, to be honest. I thought the movie looked interesting, though it was apparently different from the book. I'm not even sure what I didn't like about Enduring Love - it just didn't have much of an impact on me.

Unknown said...

Yea. I was intrigued more than anything by the preview of the film. And the movie was "interesting" to say the least, perhaps because it was not really what I had expected.

The book, made a little more sense, but was not really sure what to make of it.