Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Is "sustainer" a real word?

Why isn't "sustainer" recognised by spell checkers? I first noticed this while writing my honours thesis about Rene Descartes. He viewed God as the creator and sustainer of the universe. Dictionary.com recognises it, so it must be a real word.

As a side note, while writing my honours thesis, I constantly had a song in my head - "Great High Priest", written by the super-talented Tim MacBride especially for a series on Hebrews we had a church a number of years ago. Great song - don't know why we don't sing it anymore! The reason I had it in my head is that it began with "Creator and sustainer, heir of everything..."

3 comments:

Mister Tim said...

It might be the Microsoft dictionary that's the problem - it's in the Dictionary on the Mac.

Lara said...

It's not in the dictionary on my Mac at uni...

Mister Tim said...

You must have a dodgy one. It's probably to do with the version of the operating system. Version 10.4 had an upgraded and really good dictionary.