Is Intelligent Design simply Creationism in disguise? This is a current debate in the science and religion subject I tutor. I'm curious to know what people think, and why. Even if you don't know much about Intelligent Design or Creationism, what's your gut feeling? What's the general message you get from the media, church, scientists, friends etc?
4 comments:
No! People get confused about it because the christins are pushing it, so it must be creationism. They think that the christians would not argue from something that wasn't creationism, so it must be.
At least that what I get from the media and internet friends...
To be completly fair, I think it is the bridging step from what we have now to creationism, in that it clarifies the background that will be necessary for some to accept creationsim.
0.02
Matt, I've told you before that your thoughts are worth more than two cents!
Can you clarify the last paragraph? Do you think that Intelligent Design is a bridge from Darwinian evolution to Creationism? Does that make Intelligent Design a good thing or a bad thing?
Intelligent Design most certainly is creationism tarted up for a new millenium.
If we're careful enough to distinguish ID from theistic evolution it becomes quite clear. Theistic evolution has been around for a long time. It acknowledges that the science of evolutionary biology is correct but goes a step further to make the metaphysical claim that the hand of God guided this process. It respects the science so there's no problem.
The recent movement calling itself ID denies that organisms have evolved from simpler organisms. Don't be fooled by their subtle language and their detail descriptions of structures, anyone who claims "irreducible complexity" is denying evolution.
Christians push both theistic evolution and ID so they are easily conflated but people should be careful not to lump respectable scientists like Simon Conway Morris in with charlatans like Michael Behe just because they both have room for God.
I've met Simon Conway Morris. He's a classic.
Just wanted to mention that...
Post a Comment