Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Therapeutic cloning

Gordon Cheng suggests that Christians act now.

Craig agrees.

Here's what I wrote:

19/6/2007

To the Honourable (insert member's name here),

I am writing to express my opposition to therapeutic cloning for the purposes of embryonic stem cell research. This type of research involves the creation of a human embryo solely to be destroyed and used for the extraction of stem cells. Even if there are medical benefits to be had, these will not outweigh the cost of human life involved.

Adult stem cell research, which does not involve the destruction of human life, is already achieving much more tangible results than embryonic stem cell research. I implore those with the power to make such decisions to ensure that funding is directed towards ethically acceptable avenues of research which are already proving fruitful, rather than morally questionable endeavours.

Yours respectfully,

Larissa Johnson

Update 12:04pm: I received an email from Fred Nile's personal assistant thanking me for my "excellent" email and informing me that both Fred Nile and Gordon Moyes would be opposing the legislation. I'm not a huge fan of Fred Nile in general, but this is such an important issue that I guess it doesn't matter to agree with him, just this once...

Update 4:37pm: An email from Hon Duncan Gay MLC, Deputy Opposition Leader & Leader of the Nationals in the Legislative Council of New South Wales, Shadow Minister for Roads, Shadow Minister for Ports and Waterways

Thank you for your e-mail regarding the human cloning bill.
I will take your views and comments into consideration when making my final decision.

1 comment:

Nick said...

I agree with Fred Nile's anti-smoking position.