Thursday, April 21, 2005

Happy happy endorphin joy

I am becoming a bit of an exercise junkie lately. Nothing too extreme - I still don't go to the gym (though I have thought about it) and I don't actually do as much exercise as I would like to. I have developed a habit of going for a walk every 90 minutes or so when I'm at uni, and I have grown to love Basser Stairs! I've found that these regular short walks are so good for getting away from my computer, getting some fresh air, clearing my mind and getting those endorphins rushing around. It's a great stress-reliever!

Take this afternoon for example. I spent lunch time debating Christianity with a few fellow FASSerians. As much as I love talking about my faith, 45 minutes of six against one discussion is a bit hard to handle for someone like me. I was feeling a bit highly strung afterwards, so I went for a walk to Coogee for some gelato.

One of the things I often do when I'm walking is sing hymns to myself. Well, silently at least. Sometimes my lips do move, so I imagine people might think I'm a bit strange. I should memorise more Scripture, but hymns and other church songs are easier because of the music. So, I was walking down to Coogee, experiencing the beautiful sunny afternoon, blue sky, lorikeets flying around, waves crashing... What a wonderful way to recharge! And the hymns - what a great way to reflect on my faith! And I get to sing my favourite hymns that we never sing at church, like And Can It Be and the 'potentate of time' verse of Crown Him With Many Crowns.

One of the issues that came up in our FASS discussion was feelings of guilt in Christianity - fearing punishment for doing something wrong, and that there is no one good, not even one. As I returned to my office, I ended up singing the chorus of a Third Day song I've been hearing on the radio lately:

Sometimes I wonder why you even love me
And why you ever chose to call me child
Then I remember, it's by your sacrifice
That I can say that I am yours and you are mine


It just blows my mind. Hurrah! (as Bridget Jones would say)

And praise God for giving me an opportunity to talk to my friends about Christianity, and for giving me the words to say!

No comments: