Friday, April 01, 2005

End times

Tim LaHaye, one of the authors of the Left Behind series, has lashed out at Tyndale House for publishing another series which gives an alternative interpretation of Revelation. You can read the article here.

According to LaHaye, the alternative view that most of the events depicted in Revelation occurred in the first century is 'nonsense' and 'science fiction'.

I find it amazing that any Christian could be so adamant that their own interpretation of Revelation is the correct one. Even among evangelicals, there are a variety of interpretations, and we've got no way of being certain about which one is right. Sure, it's fine to hold a particular view, but to refuse to even consider other views can never be a good thing.

One of the pastors at my church preached a series on Revelation last year (maybe the year before, I can't remember). I thought he had a good approach. He talked about the variety of interpretations, and though he did give reasons for why he preferred one particular view, he was not arrogant or dogmatic about this at all.

I thought the Left Behind books were a load of rubbish anyway. Not the ideas necessarily, but the way they were written. They're so repetitive and almost childish. Oh my goodness, this guy is the Antichrist. I hope he doesn't find out I'm a Christian. What am I going to do? If anyone is interested in reading eschatological fiction that takes the same view as Left Behind, read the Christ Clone Trilogy by James BeauSigneur. It's much more sophisticated.

No comments: