In my recipe folder, I have instructions on making a gingerbread house from a 1994 issue of Family Circle magazine. A number of years ago I wanted to try making one, but I decided to try making gingerbread biscuits using the recipe first, to see how it would work out. Since then, making gingerbread biscuits at Christmas time has been an annual tradition. My husband has enjoyed decorating the biscuits - he goes for elaborate liquorice allsort designs whereas I'm more minimalist with silver cachous - and he's often complained that as a guy, he's not allowed to go to those gingerbread house events that many churches run for ladies around Christmas time. So, I thought making a gingerbread house would be a nice thing for us to do together this year. I made the pieces at home and then we put them together at my parents' place on Christmas Eve, ready to be a decoration for our family Christmas celebration there on Christmas Day.
Note the trees along one side, the red bushes along the other, the liquorice gate and the ingenious letterbox at the front - all my very creative husband's work! I did the Freckle tiles and Smartie trim - less creative, but fun (and tasty!) The front looked too bare, so I added the Smartie cross and turned the gingerbread house into a gingerbread church!

2 comments:
hey very nice work there!
Thanks! We had a lot of fun making it (although making the gingerbread pieces fairly late at night when I was already stressed out was not ideal...) It's still at my parents place. Not sure that we'll eat it now that it's been sitting around for a week and a half!
Post a Comment