Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Imposter Syndrome

  • Do you secretly worry that others will find out that you're not as bright and capable as they think you are?
  • Do you sometimes shy away from challenges because of nagging self-doubt?
  • Do you tend to chalk your accomplishments up to being a "fluke," “no big deal” or the fact that people just "like" you?
  • Do you hate making a mistake, being less than fully prepared or not doing things perfectly?
  • Do you tend to feel crushed by even constructive criticism, seeing it as evidence of your "ineptness?"
  • When you do succeed, do you think, "Phew, I fooled 'em this time but I may not be so lucky next time."
  • Do you believe that other people (students, colleagues, competitors) are smarter and more capable than you are?
  • Do you live in fear of being found out, discovered, unmasked?

If you answered yes to any of these questions — join the club!

Dr. Valerie Young


I answered "yes" to all of those questions...

10 Steps to Overcome the Imposter Syndrome

2 comments:

Donna-May said...

i totally have imposter syndrome!

Lara said...

I don't believe it! I think you're just a fraud!! ;-p