Michael Craven, president of the Center for Christ and Culture, is writing in response to responses to his recent article on James Watson. Apparently evolutionists are outraged at Craven's suggestions that James Watson's apparent racism (I can't comment - haven't read the previous article) stems from his Darwinism. I'm not going to go through the whole thing, just mention one comment I found particularly amusing. Craven writes
Darwin’s theory of evolution does indeed have a “goal”—providing an alternative to the biblical explanation of origins. Darwin’s grandfather, Erasmus Darwin was a noted intellectual, physician and writer who, long before Charles, theorized an evolutionary alternative to biblical origins. The senior Darwin strongly opposed Christianity going so far as to include “Credulity, Superstitious Hope, and the Fear of Hell in his catalogue of diseases.”
Exsqueeze me? Baking powder? Erasmus Darwin wants to replace the biblical account and that makes Charles Darwin's theory of evolution a deliberate alternative to the biblical account? Hello! Wrong Darwin!
And then he suggests Answers in Genesis as an appropriate place for seeking further information. Not good at all. I'd check out the Faraday Institute for Science and Religion instead. Real Christians who are real scientists doing good work on this issue.
And that's all I have to say about that. For now.
(As an aside, I'm amused by the slogan for the Creation Museum advertised on the Answers in Genesis site - "Prepare to Believe.")
5 comments:
Just last night PBS (America's ABC) aired a doco on the Dover Trial. You can watch part of it here.
It's not as sinister as the Young Earth Creationism of Answers in Genesis, but still. Eugenie Scott provides an excellent explanation of why ID isn't science.
What's the big drama with AIG? As a non-scientist, I'm not really au faix with their 'science'.
Can someone point me in the direction of some good critique? Cheers.
i really liked reading AIG when i first became a Christian.
now i am slightly embarassed.
mainly coz they badger you into belief, saying you can't be a Christian and an Evolutionist. choose, and choose right. otherwise your Christianity is foundationless.
(they have a lovely diagram comparing evolution with creation as the building blocks; evolution ends up in godlessness, abortion and euthenasia, whereas creation leads you to morals, sanctity of life, and presumably voting for the CDP)
i thought my foundation was Christ. and that's where they go wrong primarily.
(but of course, fear is such a powerful motivator...)
Ben, check out CIS.org.uk for one. some good articles and links.
Thanks for the info, Dougie, and the link. I'll have a look.
Larissa, you imply that the scientists at AIG are not "real" scientists...care to comment on how you can backup this implied claim?
Post a Comment