Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Episode 6 – Milk & Honey

I was going to give it a miss, but didn’t want to disappoint my big brother, and I though it would be sad to miss out for the second year in a row, so here I am at Milk & Honey.

I called from the British Library this afternoon to make a reservation, before going back to my room for a rest (it occurred to me that I’ve been going for 10 days straight without a break – surely not a good idea). I almost didn’t make it out again. I thought about cancelling my reservation because I had a bad headache, but I wasn’t sure I’d get another one, and again thought it would be a shame to miss out. So I took some trusty Nurofen, and I’m feeling better now.

I could only get a place at the bar. Apparently it’s going to be a busy night, but it’s pretty empty so far (it’s a little after 7pm). When I called to make a reservation, Emma nearly forgot to give me the address – I had to ask for it. The address is not available on the website, and even knowing the address doesn’t make it an easy place to find (also rather inconvenient that the numbering on the street goes up one side and down the other, rather than having odd numbers on one side and even on the other). There’s nothing on the outside to advertise it as being Milk & Honey – just a plan black door with an intercom and swipe-card system. Fortunately, just as I was switching off my iPod (love Mika!), a member arrived, so I snuck in behind him.

Once inside, there’s a reception desk where a smartly dressed guy checks the details of your reservation (computerised, of course), offers to take your coat and bag, calls through to the area in which you will be sitting to let them know someone is coming, and then directs you through the appropriate door. Once inside, there are 7 booth-style tables, each seating 4-6 people; a few smaller tables and 3 seats along the bar, where I’m sitting. The cocktail menu is quite good – not too many typical cocktails – and there’s a tapas-style snack menu. I’ve ordered some edamame which haven’t arrive yet, and I’m very much enjoying my first cocktail – a Pink Lady. It has gin, calvados, lemon juice, grenadine and egg white. Very tasty. Could really do with some food, though.

The room I’m in is not very big. It’s dimly lit, with a dark ceiling that seems lower than it actually is. The light just near where I am sitting is held together with sticky tape. There are incense burners and small candles scattered around the place, and a few shelves of vintage cocktail paraphernalia illuminated by candles in liqueur glasses. In one corner is a table of businessmen, drinking beer. Jackets off, unlike the businessmen at the Duke’s Hotel. It’s strange, but I expected there to be more women. I’ve just been joined at the bar by a couple, and to my left is another couple who look like they are on a date, but fairly early in the relationship. The greeting when she arrived (I can’t believe he didn’t meet her outside!) looked a little awkward. A kiss on one cheek – oh wait, we’re going for the other one too!

Mmm… Edamame. I’ve got Tim and Tegan (and Iori) to thank for introducing me to Edamame. This time I didn’t manage to hit anyone with a stray flying bean, though I was tempted to try. I’ve been here for an hour, and I’ve got one more – non-members can only make reservations for two hours, and need to be gone by 11pm at any rate. Members can stay until 3am. I think I’ve have some chorizo (still hungry – edamame are tasty, but not too filling) and another cocktail, and then go back to my room for an early night.

There are two Australian reds on the Red Room Reserve List:

  • Tyrell’s Vat 9 Shiraz 2001 - £50
  • Yalumba “The Menzies” Cabernet Sauvignon 2002 - £52

The most expensive red is Echezeaux Grand Cru Domaine Perdrix 2000 - £125. A complimentary £9 cheese platter seems superfluous with that!

The priciest champagne is Krug Special Collection Vintage 1979 (magnum) - £900 – “Probably the best champagne ever made.” Next is the Cuvee Don Perignon Rose Vintage 1995 - £275 – “The world’s most prestigious rose.” I thought the first one was more my style and price range, though!

It’s starting to fill up in here now. I don’t know whether they’ve turned the music down or whether it’s been drowned out by the sound of conversation. I’ve had some chorizo (very tasty indeed) and I’m now having a second Pink Lady. It’s served in one of those old style champagne glasses –think of the champagne cocktails in An Affair to Remember. It’s a lovely shade of pink, with a layer of fine foam on top. It’s a little fruity, but very smooth. Quite delightful. I am very much enjoying it. But after two cocktails, salted edamame and chorizo, I think I’ll need to drink lots of water tonight!

No comments: