...for the lack of posts recently. I haven't been able to connect my laptop to the internet since I left Oxford, and I haven't had a lot of time to use other computers either. Since session 2 has started back home, my online Science & Religion class is on again so I have to keep up with that. The students seem very eager so far, so I think I'll be busy!
Not a lot of time to write now, but here's a quick update. At the moment I'm staying with friends in Walsall, in the Midlands. Yesterday we went on a drive around Derbyshire and to Cheshire to visit 'Pemberley' (Lyme Park). My goodness, the English countryside is just beautiful! Tomorrow I'm leaving for Edinburgh, where I have a few days of sightseeing and then the final conference. Only 8 sleeps and 3 packings until I come home!
Oxford was fantastic, as always. I spent most of my time in the Bodleian Library, but I did get out a little bit. I went to a Baroque music performance in the Sheldonian Theatre and saw Hamlet performed at Oxford Castle. I almost didn't make it out of Oxford due to flooding. There were no trains in or out of Oxford for several days, but fortunately I managed to get a lift to Lancaster with a colleague from Oxford.
The Science and Religion conference in Lancaster has been the highlight of my trip so far. It was exciting to meet so many people whose work has been influential in the development of my own ideas, and just such a nice change to have so many people working in a similar area to me all at the same conference. There were even quite a few early modern scholars, which is unusual, as it doesn't seem to be the most fashionable area these days. My paper was very well-received, and I met a number of very nice and interesting people who I hope to see again sometime.
Anyway, I have to do some work for my online class now, so I'd better end this here. More to come (including photos) in the next few days, I hope...
3 comments:
I'm so excited that you got to see Lyme Park!! Ahhh, Pemberley...swoon. I think I love Pemberley almost as much as I love Mr Darcy. Sigh...
Noooo, i don't wanna pack....
Hey Larissa,
It's Sophie - we met via Dani for the Easter Convention - we ate mousse. Mmm mousse. Just writing to say hi and hope the rest of your trip goes well, sounds amazing so far (Dani and I have been kept entertained @ work - thanks!)
Sophie
Post a Comment