Yep, I've been guilty of this too.
"Where's my Mr Darcy?"
"I want to go to Cambridge so I can meet my Mr Darcy!"
And so on...
But do I have unrealistic expectations about the perfect relationship? I'm not so sure I do. I complain that all the nice guys I meet are either gay, married, non-Christian, not interested or not an option for some other reason, and it's not as though I'm turning away scores of potential suitors.
Besides, Mr Darcy wasn't perfect (in Pride and Prejudice or in Bridget Jones). Neither was Lizzie. And they didn't have an easy relationship either. First Darcy insults Lizzie, then she vows never to even dance with him, he proposes in an extremely insulting and patronising way, she refuses harshly and perhaps too honestly. And then when they start to have feelings for each other, they both have to deal with family objections... What attracts me to someone like Darcy is that he loved Lizzie not for her looks, for her money, or for her family connections, but for her mind. And I can relate to Lizzie because of her determination to marry for love. Two classic Lizzie quotes (from the BBC version - it's all I can remember off by heart):
If I could love a man who would love me enough to take me for a mere £50 a year, I should be very well pleased... Such a man could hardly be sensible, and you know I could never love a man who was out of his wits!
I am determined that nothing but the very deepest love will induce me into matrimony. So... I shall end an old maid and teach your 10 children to embroider cushions and play their instruments very ill!
Jane: A marriage where neither party can respect the other, that cannot be agreeable.
Lizzie: As we have daily proof...
The relationship between Darcy and Lizzie is about love, respect and a true meeting of minds, despite the faults of the individuals. That's the fairytale that I want. I'm not looking for the perfect man. I'm not expecting love at first sight. But I would love to think that there is someone out there, someone that, when the right time comes, I will want to share my life with. All I know is that he will love God and love me. What's a few imperfections in light of that?!
Edit:
I should also link to Mike's beautiful post about Christine. A real-life fairytale perhaps?
2 comments:
Thanks Nixter! I love this whole Christian community blogosphere thing!
Through Karen's blog - http://hippocampusextensions.com/karen/
I was procrastinating at uni today, and surfing through all her links. I liked the Pascal quote on Craig's blog, and he was saying some interesting stuff. It's always fun to disagree with someone!
Post a Comment