I heard about a bar called Milk & Honey last year, but I didn't get around to going there while I was in London. This time, I'm determined to go. It's a very exclusive bar:
Milk & Honey opened in Soho, London, in April 2002 and remains dedicated to bringing unrivalled drinks quality and service to a discerning crowd of grown-ups.
Access to non-members is by reservation only until 11pm (and in practice restricted to the early part of the week). For members and their guests the bar is open until 3am six nights a week. No reservation is required for members, but we advise that you always call ahead.
It also has a list of house rules which appeal to me, particularly the fifth one:
No name-dropping.
No hooting, hollering, shouting or other loud behaviour.
No fighting, play fighting, no talking about fighting.
Gentlemen will remove their hats. Hooks are provided.
Gentlemen will not introduce themselves to ladies.
Ladies, feel free to start a conversation or ask the bartender to introduce you. If a man you don't know speaks to you, please lift your chin slightly and ignore him.
Do not linger outside the front door.
Do not bring anyone unless you would leave that person alone in your home. You are responsible for the behaviour of your guests.
Exit the bar briskly and silently. People are trying to sleep across the street. Please make all your travel plans and say all farewells before leaving the bar.
This is a place that is very serious about its drinks:
If you're in the Red Room, you'll be served drinks containing jagged wedges of ice. We cut these by hand with an ice pick from a twice-frozen block of ice made from mineral water. Ice like this is denser, colder and clearer, and chills your drink perfectly without diluting it too much.
As mentioned above, it's very exlusive. One can purchase membership, but the number of members is limited. So, one must join the waiting list, and then wait until a member leaves or a membership lapses. It's £50 to join the waiting list. Then when you're offered membership the annual fee is £300 for one membership card which also includes three guests. Insanity!
The original Milk & Honey is located in New York, and is open to members only.
Milk & Honey opened in New York in January 2000 and is located on Manhattan's Lower East Side. Entrance is by referral and appointment only. Many New Yorkers assume that M&H is an urban myth but access is easy for London members seven nights a week until 4am.
There is no way I would ever take out membership in a place like this, but there's something about it that appeals to me. I like the seriousness of it - this is not a place to hang out in the hope of spotting celebrities, or a place to pick up. And the rules crack me up, particularly the one about gentlemen not speaking to ladies without permission. It's very Jane Austen!
1 comment:
Sounds fasntastic. I'd attempt to join if I moved to London.
Post a Comment