Anyway, the lecture tonight starts at 7:30pm, so I'm hanging around until then, attempting to finish some marking and prepare for tomorrow's tute. I just took a walk up to level 5 of the Botany St carpark to bring my car down to the carpark outside my office (which was full when I arrived at uni today at the ridiculously late time of 11am). After parking, I noticed that the passenger-side mirror was askew. This surprised me, because although I parked quite close to a concrete column this morning, and it's not unknown for me to hit my mirror on such columns, I didn't recall this happening. Surely I would have noticed?
So I got out of the car, and attempted to move the mirror back into position. Crack. It broke. It's kind of in the right position now, but I can just see it falling off to the side while I'm driving down the M5 East at 80km/h (sadly, this has happened to me before - other mirror, though!) Not happy at all. I don't want a new mirror! I'm happy with this one! And I particularly don't want a new mirror when I didn't even realise that I was breaking it. Fair enough if I realise what has happened at the time, but it's not much fun to discover it 6 hours later! Grr. And why is it that when I'm already in a bad mood, these kinds of things happen to make me even more annoyed at the world (and myself, for that matter)?!
Well, this kind of reminds me of one of my favourite scenes from Babylon 5 (in an episode I happened to watch on Saturday, actually). Captain Sheridan is in the garden with the Minbauri ambassador Delenn, and they have this delightful little exchange:
Sheridan: Why is it every time you finally get things calmed down and everything's going great life decides to kick you in the butt?
Delenn: But what?
Sheridan: What?
Delenn: You said that life decides to kick you, but...
Sheridan: No! It's umm... it's, it's a part of the body. It's, ahhh... oh, you have the damndest gaps in your vocabulary!
Delenn: In preparing to come here, I was not taught the more colorful aspects of your language. It was considered inappropriate for one of the religious cast.
Sheridan: Yeah, well, you're missing out on a lot.
Delenn: So I gather... (mumbles to herself) Butt. Butt... I butt, you butt, he or she butts...
Sheridan: No. It's a...
Delenn: Butt butt, butt butt.
Sheridan: You sound like a motorboat.
Delenn: Motorbutt? I do not think I like the sound of that.
Sheridan: Well, I don't blame you. I'm against the whole idea.
Delenn: Then we're in agreement.
Sheridan: Absofragginlutley!
Ah, at least that makes me smile!
4 comments:
oh my poor poppet! i hope you don't need a new one. i loved the quote from B5!
I'm quite sure that I do need a new one. :-( It's being held on by tape at the moment.
Hurrah for B5 quotes! I just have to be careful not to give anything away, because I don't want to spoil any surprises for Matt!
so matt doesn't know that everyone dies at the end? oops, my bad.
Tee hee!
Post a Comment