- Your wardrobe
- Your office
- Your reception station
The basic process to purge wardrobe clutter is simple - start at the top of the pile of clothes and sort them into three groups: items to keep, items to purge, and items requiring extra attention, like repairs. The tricky part is deciding which items belong in which group. Erin suggests a few main guidelines
- Only keep items that fit you now. Like many women, my weight fluctuates. Well, really, over the course of the PhD, it's just gone up. Erin would advocate getting rid of all the clothes that don't fit me at the moment, but I just can't bring myself to do this. I have so many lovely things that I still hope will fit me again one day. I generally try to buy clothes that are stylish but not too fashionable - I don't like to buy things that will only last one season. So many of the clothes I have that are too small at the moment will potentially still look ok (and not too out of style) if I can lose a bit of weight. That might be a vain hope, but I did manage to lose some weight after I submitted my PhD thesis last year. I put some back on over Christmas, but if I can get back to my healthy eating and exercise routine, there's a good chance I'll fit into these clothes again. So I've made myself a deal - I'll toss anything that I don't fit into by the end of the year, and I've tried to keep only the nicest of the too-small clothes.
- Purge seasonally. I'm putting off my purging until the end of the year, due to the weight-loss possibility, but if I get to the end of summer and find that I haven't worn an item, it will have to go. The same thing will apply to winter (but not until 2011). So uncluttering my wardrobe will be an ongoing process.
- Consider your personal style/uniform. An example of a "uniform" would be Steve Jobs with his black turtlenecks and jeans, but I haven't yet figured out how to apply this to myself. The problem is that most people would have a number of roles, and perhaps need a different uniform for each - suits for the office; track pants for doing the housework; casual gear for weekends; nice dresses for weddings and other special occasions; exercise clothes for going to the gym... I think this will be taken care of by the "purge seasonally" requirement - it will just take a bit longer.
Office
According to Erin, " In a competitive marketplace. a clean, organized, well-decorated office might be the key to keeping your job, earning a raise, retaining a client, or being promoted, irrespective of the quality of work you actually do" [44]. I don't have a job at the moment (not a full-time paid job, anyway) so I don't really need to worry about the perception people will have of me from my office. However, I do know that having a tidy and organised workspace is extremely conducive to productivity, and conversely, I feel I cannot do any real work if my work area and my thoughts are in a mess. Monday's job is only to deal with the physical space of the office - the filing problems are taken care of on Tuesday.
The most obvious thing, of course, is the desk. I've had an Ikea desk that's just a basic rectangle with a pull-out side panel. I didn't work at home for my PhD, so it's not until recently that I've found it's not really the best set up for me. I much preferred the corner workstation I had at uni. We also needed to buy a new desk for Matt, since the keyboard shelf from his computer workstation mysteriously vanished during our move. So, we took the plunge and bought a new desk from Officeworks and another Billy bookcase from Ikea to store all the books and papers from my PhD (until today they were sitting in two large piles in the corner). I now have a corner desk with a raised shelf for my laptop and extra shelves underneath for storage (handy for things like the external hard drive). According to the principles of uncluttering, I only have things on my desk that I use regularly, and just two decorative objects - a photo of Matt and the paperweight the university gave me as a gift when I submitted my PhD (not sure why I want that one on my desk...) I have a few books that I refer to often, and an in-tray. Erin's obviously into the whole Getting Things Done system, because she says that the inbox should be processed a few times a day, and action taken on each item the first time it's touched, and the inbox should be emptied at the end of the day - no exceptions. I'm leaving this step for next week...
Reception Station
This is basically the entry point to the home, and should include the following:
- Somewhere to remove and store muddy and wet shoes
- Somewhere to hang jackets/coats and store hats, gloves and scarves during winter
- An area to sort through mail, with a shredder to immediately shred things like pre-approved credit card offers
- A trash can
- A place to put coins
- An inbox
- A designated space for a backpack, purse or briefcase
- A space for keys
- A space for charging cell phones and other electronic devices
Tasks for tomorrow
- Bathroom
- Files
- Routines for household chores
2 comments:
Thank-you for blogging about the decluttering process! I am loving reading it. Keep it up (both the decluttering and the blogging about it) ^-^
I haven't read the book (after all, in 2008 I bought "Cut the Clutter" by Cynthia Townley Ewer of organisedhome.com so I can't justify another decluttering book just yet) so I'm interested in how you go with the week thing.
I had been wondering about how it's meant to be done in a week. Maybe it's meant to be a series of weeks with Monday activities being done on Mondays but progressively so you might fix an item this week and another next week?
There's no way we could have a "Reception Station" in our new abode. We mainly use the back door which leads directly into the (narrow) laundry. The front door leads directly to what for others would be the lounge room but for us will be the Creative Memories room. Like you we have to have routines and particular places elsewhere for specific items such as keys, bags, coats...
Post a Comment