Sunday, October 25, 2009

A return to blogging

I was surprised to see that I haven't posted since April. I guess that means for the last 5 months of my thesis, I wasn't procrastinating as much.

Yes, that's right, the thesis is finally done. Well, submitted, anyway. I still have to wait for examiners' reports and the almost inevitable revisions. In the meantime I'm catching up on life, and I'm planning to restart this blog. I'll have to change the tagline though, since I'm no longer a procrastinating PhD student. Procrastinating, always; PhD student, just about done!

I have a dilemma, though. I'd like to write more about science and Christianity topics, as well as more general Christians in academia stuff, but I might also like to continue with the random snippets about my life. If I decide I want to put my name to the more academic posts, is it worth starting a new blog, and keeping this for the more mundane, personal stuff?

Thoughts, anyone?

7 comments:

Nick said...

Blogs are free. Why not have multiple?

The only draw-back is that splitting the posts between two blogs halves the frequency on each. Is that even a draw-back or is it just a relation of ideas?

Meredith said...

Congratulations on submitting! Its a big mountain to climb - I hope you're feeling stoked and relieved. I like the idea of multiple blogs - but perhaps also investigate writing for magazines like Zadok, or even the secular periodicals. Would be good to put it out there...

psychodougie said...

mix it up i reckon.
or at least re-post the more academic ones on this blog i reckon. people who want to read you as the world-renowned scholar you will be thanks to your phd can look at that one, us plebs can look at this one!
i for one like seeing both sides of people.

and well done, must be a nice feeling!

Laetitia :-) said...

Congrat's on the PhD. What was your topic?

Post it all on this blog. You can always copy the more academic to another blog you set up for just that genre.

I have my own personal blog that you know about (thanks for stopping by!) on which I'll have everything from the mundane to the arcane.

I also am a co-contributor on two others. One is a closed blog for members of our home group. The other is our "Christmas round-up" blog where we link to stories on our personal blogs - family and friends can read as much or as little as they like and it saves spending a fortune on paper Christmas letters to people who don't read them but ask us about our year when we see them next!

I wrote a post for the closed blog and liked it enough to modify it appropriately to post on my regular blog to allow for a wider audience.

Lara said...

Hey Laetitia! Thanks for visiting!

The PhD is basically on relations between science and religion (though more correctly natural philosophy and theology) in seventeenth-century England. Don't actually have it yet - still waiting for feedback and demands for revisions.

As it turns out, this could be a moot point. I seem to have lost the blogging bug! Maybe it will come back once I get over the PhD and all the stuff that's filling up my life at the moment.

Chaotic Jupiter said...

I found the blog!

I know this is an old post, but I don't see anything wrong with mixing the two. I like to read about different aspects of peoples lives.

Lara said...

Thanks Jupiter, and everyone else who commented. I'm thinking of trying to ease my way back into blogging by writing about my attempt to unclutter my life in one week, starting today!