Wednesday, August 31, 2005

A whole camp full of soldiers...

While overseas, I attended two conferences. The first was the annual conference of the British Society for the History of Science, held at the University of Leeds. This was quite interesting, and I met a few big names in my field. I enjoyed the second conference more, however. This was the Third International Pascal Centre Workshop - Interpreting Nature and Scripture: History of a Dialogue, held at Redeemer University College in Ancaster, Canada. It was a smaller conference but it lasted longer, so I had more opportunity to get to know people. The topic was more specialised as well, so it was closer to my own research.

Now that I've attended a couple of conferences, and I have an idea of what happens, I feel a little more confident about presenting a paper of my own. Also, my research is getting to the point where I actually have something I can talk about, instead of just vague assertions and hunches (though there's still a bit of that!) I'm hoping to head over to New Zealand in December for the annual conference of the Australasian Association for the History, Philosophy and Social Studies of Science, otherwise known as 'AAHPSSS'. (Man, these associations have mammoth names!)

Unfortunately, Australia is a little isolated academically. There aren't a huge number of opportunities to attend conferences locally. So, I'm also thinking (and dreaming) about going to the BSHS's annual postgraduate conference in January at the University of Brighton. That's Brighton in England. That means I could be in England in January. The middle of winter! To spend just three days there would be a waste of such an expensive flight, so if I go, I may as well spend a bit more time there. Paris is just a hop, skip and a jump across (or under) the Channel, so why don't I spend New Year's Eve in Paris?

NEW YEAR'S EVE IN PARIS!!

What an exciting possibility! Anyone want to join me??

Well, I'm not sure if this will happen, but it would be exciting if it did. In the meantime, I can dream!

I WANT TO GO TO BRIGHTON!

(By the way, 10 points for the first person who can tell me where the title of this post comes from. 50 points if you're a guy - I'd be very impressed!)

6 comments:

Donna-May said...

Hehe, I know where that title comes from, but should I spoil it for any guys out there who would like to guess?

"I want to go to Brighton!!"

Ah Lydia, she's so funny.

ChinDoGu said...

Does googling it to get the answer count? Funnily enough it was exactly what I guessed it would be (assuming im right) before I googled it. Based simply on the clue given by the fact that you thought guys woulden't get it. and no, I havent seen it. Do I still get the points?

"_ _ _ d _ _ n _ _ _ _ J _ _ I _ e"

Is that obscure enough to show I know what im talking about without giving it away?

ChinDoGu said...

Pfft. It removed my extra spaces between words.

Oh well.

Lara said...

Well done, Donna and Matt! I'll wait and see if any other guys can get it (although there aren't that many who read my blog!)

Anonymous said...

I'll stay out of this as well : ) Too easy. By the way, Iceland is also just a hop, skip and whatever away from England as well...
Agnes

Mister Tim said...

Well Larissa - I always thought you would prefer to liken yourself to Elizabeth, maybe, rather than associate yourself with Lydia.