When I first got married and we moved into our rented unit, I was enjoying the domesticity. I do appreciate a clean home, and at first I didn't mind the housework. But I still remember clearly the moment I realised that the housework was never going to end, and that every week for the rest of my life, I would have to clean the bathroom, dust and vacuum, wash the floors... It was a little depressing, and made me feel tired just thinking about it.
![]() |
| http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/06/this-is-why-ill-never-be-adult.html |
Fast forward three years: we're in our own unit. Generally, we keep the place pretty clean and tidy, but there are many things that have been bothering me for a very long time. These things are beyond the scope of the standard house cleaning procedure, and require extra energy and motivation. For example:
- window frames that probably haven't been cleaned since this place was built 30 years ago and are caked with dirt that can't be removed without vigorous application of a toothbrush
- a wardrobe stuffed with clothes I don't wear but might one day
- tchotchkes cluttering bookshelves
- books that aren't arranged by genre, author and year of publication
- scuff marks on walls
- dust bunnies behind furniture
- windows so dirty you can hardly see through them (cleaning windows on the 3rd floor is not easy...)
- overflowing filing cabinet
- plastic crates full of thesis drafts and random papers
On Friday of last week, I was sitting on the lounge after lunch trying to find the motivation to give the house a basic clean, after which I was going to get out my sewing machine and have some fun. Once I got started, however, I just couldn't stop. I just kept finding more and more things to clean. The mirrors in the bedroom are a bit smudgy - better give those a clean. Since I've got these glass/mirror cleaning cloths out, I may as well clean the windows too. And while I'm cleaning the glass, wouldn't this be a good opportunity to finally get rid of all that caked-on dirt along the bottom of the window frame? I'm vacuuming, so I should move all the furniture and get rid of the dust that's collected behind. But the chest of drawers is too heavy to move with the drawers still in, and if I'm taking them out, I may as well tidy those too.
It seems I've caught spring cleaning fever and I'm not going to stop until our entire home is uncluttered and cleaned thoroughly from top to bottom. Matt didn't realise just how serious I was about the "thoroughly from top to bottom" clause until he emerged from the bedroom after sleeping in on Saturday morning to find me dusting his collection of role-playing character models with a toothbrush.
So, this is me at the moment:
![]() |
| http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/06/this-is-why-ill-never-be-adult.html |
The sewing machine is still in the study, and I've only cleaned the bedroom and living room so far. That's ok. I'm looking forward to having a perfectly clean and ordered home. I just hope the spring cleaning fever lasts until all the things are clean!


4 comments:
Hear, hear - I get times like that but unfortunately I often have other competing demands / distractions that mean I don't actually do them. Right now I see dust on some things that mock me. Here's hoping the fever lasts.
BTW, do you contribute to the unclutterer fora? And if so, what's your screen name?
Hey Laetitia,
I'm fortunate to have a flexible schedule at the moment, so I've been able to spend a lot of time in the last week cleaning. Besides, I consider it an investment in my mental health - I feel so much calmer and more relaxed when things are tidy and clean, and there are no little things "mocking" me!
I've done the living room, bedroom, kitchen and laundry so far - still have to do the study, kitchen, linen cupboard, balcony and garage. But I think the rest will be a much slower process - just a little each day - because I need to get back to other work.
Haven't used the unclutterer fora. Do you find them interesting/useful?
Let's just say that one of the ways I procrastinate is by reading and contributing to the threads in the forum section. :-) On there I'm known as "Laetitia in Australia".
I'll have to check it out sometime, but I really don't need another means of procrastination!
(I should also turn off email when I'm trying to focus on other things, so I don't get distracted from my marking and respond to blog comments immediately!)
How are you feeling, by the way? Just realised I hadn't subscribed to your heart blog, so I've done that now. I'll be praying for your health and for the operation.
Post a Comment