Thursday, January 27, 2005

I want to be beautiful...

I must be going soft in my old age, because I seem to be listening to so much girly pop music - Delta Goodrem, Kelly Clarkson etc. They're ok for some relaxing, easy listening music, but the lyrics are rather trite. Take Delta - "You're my butterfly." But then, "I was never one for butterflies, but you give me love that I can't describe."

Anyway, it's refreshing to find someone whose lyrics have the potential to have a more meaningful impact on young women. Bethany Dillon is a Christian singer (only 15 years old, apparently, which is quite amazing) whose music I find resonates with my feelings and experiences.

For example, her song called 'Beautiful' is about something all girls experience - trying to live up to society's definition of beautiful, in the hope that someone will find us worthy of love. The last chorus in the song, however, is addressed to God:

You make me beautiful
You make me stand in awe
You step inside my heart, and I am amazed
I love to hear you say
Who I am is quite enough
You make me worthy of love and beautiful


Or, another song called 'All I need', which is also addressed to God.

When the day is done
And there's no one else around
While I'm lying here in bed
You're in my heart, You're in my head
You're all I need, You're all I need
There are a million voices
Calling out my name
But You're the One I want to hear
So make the others disappear

You are all I need when I'm surrounded
You are all I need if I'm by myself
You fill me when I'm empty
There is nothing else
You're all I need


There's so much pressure from society, and even from the church, for people to be in relationships, to get married, to have children. It's easy to forget that we don't need another person to complete us. Although God made us for relationships, ultimately we can only be satisfied in him. No one else can love us like God, and if we expect them to, we're always going to end up disappointed. God is all we need!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's so true Lara. We have the world drumming it into us that we must be in a relationship or look a certain way to be counted as anything special. I'm so comforted by the fact that God loves me as I am, He created me, knows all about me and still loves me!

Hurrah!!!

Donna
:o)